Wednesday, December 12, 2012

A Zombie At Glens Falls


A zombie attacks a solider over a water fall.
A Zombie At Glens Falls


            Once again I have to give a big shout out and thanks to the guys at FUBAR Press.  I was lucky enough to do another pin-up for their newest and soon-to-be released graphic novel FUBAR: American History Z.  This anthology of stories takes place from about the first Thanksgiving until almost current era.  I highly recommend reading all their FUBAR anthology books.  The stories and art are easily on par with any big publisher and one never feels as though you didn’t get your moneys worth. 

            I will go on record, as saying the artists in these books will have bright futures in the arts.

            Upon being told of the projects time line I instantly knew I wanted to pay homage to the illustration The Battle At Glens Falls by N.C. Wyeth.  The idea spoke to me because
all great zombie stories are built upon an over whelming amount of tension.  Wyeths classic and iconic illustration is filled to the brim with tension that can barely be cut with a knife. 

            Aside from the great deal of fun it was to create the work.  I felt as though I was learning from the master himself.  I haven’t done a master study in quite some time but I could feel the larger than life persona of N.C. over my shoulder instructing as I painted.  There is no better way to learn than to than to be taught by a master.  And this was a close as I’m ever going to get to N.C. Wyeth.  I’ll honestly say I learned a lot from this painting and it was well worth it.




No comments: