Friday, June 17, 2011

Threat Neutralized! An Angry Birds Inspired Illustration


I am very happy to announce my illustration entitled “Threat Neutralized!” has been selected in group show called Gamescape. Gamescape is a great slice of a much bigger annual arts festival called Artscape. They both take place every year in
Baltimore, Maryland and has grown every year since. And this year Artscape turns thirty! Although, Gamescape is just a baby and turning two this year.
Gamescape is all about the art of video games. It showcases art made for a game and art inspired by a game. Mine was inspired by the mobile gaming phenomenon Angry Birds. Doing a illustration for this show was a no brainer. Angry birds has easily made its way into my top 10 list of all time favorite games and what better way to pay homage to it then create an illustration!
I aimed to illustrate that victorious point where the gamer has cleared a level and achieved three stars for their hard work. Most levels aren’t easy and don’t bet on a guaranteed three stars. Each level requires a different tactic and usage of the birds to defeat all of the pigs while earning enough points to achieve one, two or three stars.
Having played many hours of Angry Birds I drew much inspiration. Like the game, I knew I had to design a simple and fun illustration with a lot of attitude. The bird was to emulate the gamer and feel proud of its accomplishment. He sits on top of a defeated pile of pigs and the achievement of earning three stars appears behind him. I’m very pleased with the finish and can’t wait to be a part of this years festival! I hope I did Angry Birds and its fans proud.
To check out Artscape visit the following link.
This year it happens from July 15th -17th. The gallery I will be in is The Pinkard Gallery inside MICA’s (Maryland Institute College of Art) Bunting building (Mount Royal Avenue and Lanvale streets).
It’s a great time. I urge everyone to come out and have fun!!!
Ps- To all you hardcore gamers can you locate the Golden Egg in my illustration???

No comments: